In 1891, the administrative centre of the Pahang State Government was relocated from the district of Pekan to Lipis. Although this relocation plan was temporary, it took more than 64 years before the administrative centre of Pahang Darul Makmur was finally relocated to Kuantan in 1955.
In selecting the appropriate location for the administrative centre of Pahang, the State Government focused on two areas namely Temerloh / Mentakab and Kuantan. Due to the uneven landscape in Temerloh / Mentakab which requires large expenditures for development, it was then decided that Kuantan will be the capital of Pahang.
The administrative centre of the State of Pahang was officially relocated to Kuantan on Saturday (27 August 1955) and was officiated by HRH Sultan Abu Bakar Ri'ayatuddin Al Muadzam Shah Ibni Al Marhum Al Sultan Abdullah Al Mu'tasim Billah, DK., SIMP., DK., SIMP., DK(Brunei)., DK(Johor)., DK(Perak)., SPDK(Sabah)., GCMG.
From that day, effort has been made to construct a State Government Administrative Complex. An administrative complex, known as Wisma Sri Pahang was completed in 1970 and on 28 February 1970, the Pahang State Government Administrative Centre officially relocated to the new complex.
The administration of the Pahang State Secretary Office was helmed by the State Secretary. The appointment of the State Secretary is in accordance to the Pahang State Constitution. The first Pahang State Secretary was Dato' Setia Raja Abu Samah Bin Haji Ali. He was appointed on 1 February 1948 and served until 2 August 1952.